Holkham Naturist Beach Campaign
Public Place Naturism - Portable Legal Guidance
In the BN Three Year Plan we included the task of providing legal and other useful advice to Natu...
Summer 2014 Event Posters
A selection of posters, for events taking place in 2014 and early 2015. The posters can be downlo...
BN Social Media Conduct Guidelines 2014
BN Social Media Conduct Guidelines 2014. Please download to view this document.
Why Join BN?
Yes I love being a Naturist – but why do I need to join a national organisation? BN’s Andrew Welc...
BN - Reasons for Joining
Information for newcomers - especially those already involved in Naturism - aimed at persuading t...
Anti-social Behaviour Bill success, battle won...
This evening, Wed 8 January 2013, at about 6:05pm, an amendment to greatly improve the definition...
Censorship - Open Rights Group Petition
Censorship is a very serious threat to Naturism and it is about to get far worse. It will be foun...
Reporting Hate Crime
All naturists should be aware of the True Vision website where incidents of hate crime can be rep...
Big business censorship
Big business is almost entirely unaccountable. Some of the worst offenders are US corporations ex...
Serious Threat - The Anti-Social Behaviour Bill
The Anti-Social Behaviour Bill is probably the most serious attack on the civil liberties of this...
The beach at Holkham has been used for Naturism since at least the 1930s but out of the blue the Holkham Estate decided to impose a ban. We have been leaving a lot unsaid in the interests of diplomacy. First a quick summary of events so far:
- August 2012. We met with the Holkham Estate and there was no mention of any problem.
- March 2013. Holkham Estate contact BN, supposedly to "consult" regarding a "possible" ban.
- 20 June. Holkham Estate announce a ban.
- 31 July. One month after the ban started. Update.
- 11 August. The beach day on 11 August 2013 went ahead on the planned date but in modified form. It was intended to be a low key way of making a point so it was not promoted as a major demonstration.
- 25 September. Holkham Beach Success. As diplomacy was not having any effect, and due to looming legal deadlines, we commenced the pre-action protocol for judicial review of The Crown Estate decision to ban Naturism on their part of the beach. They backed down within days. The ban on Naturism below mean high water has been lifted.
- 7 October. Press release on the lifting of the ban.
- 30 October. Holkham make a planning application for a large cafe and visitor centre in the middle of one of the largest undeveloped areas in the East of England.
- 6 December. British Naturism make a formal objection to the planning application. Planning application. BN objection. We know that this building development is one of the reasons for the ban, we strongly suspect that it is the real reason.
We have started a mailing list for everyone interested in what is happening regarding the beach. To join please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Please do all that you can to help, even if it is nothing more than joining British Naturism.
There is members discussion forum.
We hope to create a beach user group. Whether that will be helping the Holkham Estate to combat the problem that they claim is the reason for the ban, or whether it is opposing the Holkham Estate in their attempts to stop people using a beach, well that is up to Holkham Estate.
← Campaigns Homepage