This is a nice gentle walk (2.75 mile) from Winterton pay car park TG 49727 19952 to Horsey TG 47314 23337 . Lat 52.751007 long 1.6632614
Enter the village of Winterton at the fork in the coast road by the church keep straight past the shop and chip shop till you can go no further the car park is on left.
From the car park walk north along the dunes or beach. On most days once 1/4 mile clear of the car park you can walk naked. Be alert for the following:
- during the peak breading season the RSPB fence off a section of the foreshore to protect the little terns but there is always plenty of room just keep dogs on a lead in this area when in place.
keep walking north there is a curve in the coast line
- at TG 48677 21739 more care required here as families come down from the surrounding farms.
The area that is well used by naturists starts after this, where the sea wall is of hard 1960 concrete sea defence (and on the beach rock groynes start). The naturist area extends from here to just south of TG 47314 23337 numbers 47 - 55 marked on the concrete wall. A wind break can be useful but often you can nestle in the rock armour (tons of Norwegian rock lined in to fingers as sea defence) for shelter
At low tide it can be fun to explore the area uncovered sand searching for fossils and shells.
- With The increase of the seal population this has attracted more seal watchers.
- At high tide children and weak swimmers should take care as there is one point where there are deep wells between the sand bars, and strong rip tides flow here!
- The beach often changes dramatically between the monthly spring and neap tides so don't rely on how you remember it even just a few days ago.
An alternative (2 mile walk) is to park at Horsey mill NT gated car park (watch times as could get locked in). The NT car park is next to the cut that joins Horsey Mere to the Norfolk broads. (Note for non-boaters: the 'cut' looks like a canal and usually has boats on it!) Walk north following the road to the second corner where the main road turns left but carry straight on down the lane towards the Nelson Head PH. Go past the pub and continue in an easterly direction along the track taking the left fork. Just before joining the beach turn right (south) until you find fencing and a path up the side of the sea defenses and join the beach and enjoy.
Near by to the north is Waxham sands camping and caravan site and there is some mention of a Caravan Club naturist site at Hickling but i have never been there.
will try and add photos later